Monday, April 21, 2014

I Shall Focus on Building Soil this Summer


Compost Heap # 1
* Everyday I face the strong temptation to sow a seed, plant a tree, or transplant a seedling. But I have to stay focused on building up my soil and fortifying and diversifying my garden edges before the rainy season and the "ber-months."

* As of today, I have several multipurpose and multifunction kakawati trees lined up in Zones 2 and 4. And my lemongrass, citronella, and dill hedges are getting thicker and taller. I will transplant my basil plants from the raised beds to the perimeter and I will sprinkle cosmos seeds near the fence. By June I'm expecting a thick hedge of assorted herbs and plants bordering my Zone 2 garden and Zone 4 fence line.

* As for the soil building part, my worms are doing quite well eating sacks and sacks of kitchen waste. Better harvest their castings soon. While I'm still building my compost heap number 2 and waiting for compost heap number 1 to finish sometime in the first week of May. 

* I've been gathering dried leaves and fresh cut grass every morning for my raised beds to serve as mulch/compost. Forage is still a problem for my goats so my 10 pesos/sack of lapnis offer is still open to everyone. 

* On May 5 to 9 I will be conducting an organic backyard gardening workshop for 30 youth delegates from San Pablo and Cavite at Kainos Farm. I'm still thinking if I should bring my goats, Twinkle and Bumblebee, to the youth camp.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lectures and Webinars for May 2024

MAY 3 - Permaculture Designs in the Philippines, 47th SOLVE Urban Agriculture: Approaches in Boosting Yields and Nutritional Value, SEARCA v...