Monday, January 6, 2014

Garden Projects for this Year

I really have to secure the goat fence.

I've lost track of the number of times I received a message saying: NAKAWALA ANG MGA KAMBING MO. 

Tomorrow, our carpenters Kuya Charlie and Kuya Ides will construct a secure perimeter to enclose the goats' grazing area. I must admit that I really had a hard time planting anything last year. One reason is that the goats always ate anything that sprouted up. Yes, they actually destroyed my garden fence. And another reason is the weird weather. But those are real-world challenges that us gardeners have to deal with. We need to come up with creative solutions. 

Here's an improvised net house frame that I worked on. The net will help scatter big droplets of rain and excessive sunlight. The bundle of kawayan is only Php 180.

Here's a drawing I made based on a zoning plan and element analysis that I worked on before. I learned to do that in a Permaculture Design video by Geoff Lawton.

I used a fine kitchen strainer as a sifter for my compost. 
I also used a deep fryer strainer to separate the rocks and gravel from the compost. And the shape of the strainer works really well!

I planted corn and eggplant in the seedling trays. I used a chicken cage and some old window screens as a temporary green house.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lectures and Webinars for May 2024

MAY 3 - Permaculture Designs in the Philippines, 47th SOLVE Urban Agriculture: Approaches in Boosting Yields and Nutritional Value, SEARCA v...