Friday, May 16, 2014

Sink Irrigation and Water Catchment Permaculture Project at Kainos Farm


We have this sink in the bahay kubo connected to the drainage who -knows-where it leads to. Anyway, every time I use the sink I feel sad that the water just goes down drain, washed and wasted, never again utilized for farm use. That's why this morning I studied how the drainage system works.


I found out that the PVC pipe was buried underground. To my surprise the pipe had a huge huge crack. Someone must have accidentally hit it with something, I dunno.


I wanted the sink to have a simultaneous multipurpose function every time we use it. First, it can be used to wash hands, dishes, and laundry; second, it should water the garden; and third, the grey water should be stored to use for gardening or flushing purpose later on.



Having no money and no available materials, I made use of the crack on the PVC pipe and re-routed the water flow by jamming a small plastic bottle cut in half. I sealed it with some small stones. Of course, some water still passed through to the main drain. What I did was I sealed the drain pipe with a bigger plastic bottle cut in half, taped it and sealed it with rocks and mud, and attached a broken old hose to it. The hose leads to a water sprinkler at the bottom.


The re-routed water flow leads to a gravel drain mounds of soil at the sides--where we will plant water-loving plants soon. The water will pass through 6 small ponds (since the land is sloping) before it leads to the drain.


The principle behind this is to use the water several times before it drains out. Plus the water from the sink is stored in the soil and plants around it.


Total Cost for the project: Php 0.00

Go permaculture!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Lectures and Webinars for May 2024

MAY 3 - Permaculture Designs in the Philippines, 47th SOLVE Urban Agriculture: Approaches in Boosting Yields and Nutritional Value, SEARCA v...